b.txt
       c.txt
       j.txt

Which i have prefixed with an number like
       001a.txt
       002b.txt
       003c.txt
       010j.txt

How can i number them "down"? Like the first file should have the highest number. i.e.  010a.txt, 009b.txt and 008c.txt

A:       Use Ctr+B to choose your directory. Single click on it and choose OK
          You can use the filter combo box  to see only files you want to. (Here f.ex.   ?.txt )

For the 'normal'  ascending numbering you have done this?

EXAMPLE:        a.txt
EXPRESSION:  %n%f
RESULT:          001a.txt

EXPLANATION:
   %n   : the selection number  (there is more, please read the help)
   %f   : the file name without the path but with extension

To "number down" just click on the column header "Current Name" to sort them in descending order.

Note:
%n represents the selecting order.
If you have select the files before, your numbering in the "Future Name"  column is still in the wrong direction for you.

So just unselect the files (see the button in the toolbar or see the "Select"-menu)
and then click on "Select" again.

If you want only two digits 01, 02 ... instead of 001, 002...
then please take a look in the options (File menu > Options) 
and there in the "Numbers" section.
Just decrease the "Size"-digit in the "Selection number" section from '3' to '2'.

Press the F1-key while you are in Siren to read more about.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siren is a freeware file renaming program
                                               - portable, highly flexible, powerfully -
                                          If it's looking tricky it's easy to rename with Siren.
                                          http://www.scarabee-software.net/en/siren.html